Where am I now?: HOME
My Food Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Thanksgiving in The Hague

This is my first attempt to update on the road, it will be quick.
The highlight of today was our family dinner for 26 at the residence,
a mulligan of the thanksgiving dinner we did not get to have in
November. I'll post pictures when I get back, but it is always cool to
see the US seal on all the glasses, plates and name cards. The food
was great, not surprising as the house chef is fantasic, though even
more impressive since it was the first time he (a Dutch chef) prepared
an American thanksgiving meal. And in true thanksgiving spirit it was
fun to mingle and catch up with cousins and family from abroad.

The day leading up to dinner was relatively uneventful, especially the
flight over. We met the Ambassador for lunch at a small but tasty
Italian spot, recieved a brief tour of the embassy (you can't take
cell phones into her office), and met the rest of my immediate family
(7 of us crashing the residence) at the museum mauritshuis. If any of
you are art history majors, this is where you see the famous Vermeer
painting "girl with a pearl earring". My favorite was Rembrandt's "The
anatomy lesson of Dr nicolaes Tulp".

We walked home from the museum in quite a wintry afternoon. Much like
how Chicago has been having a colder winter than normal so too has the
Netherlands. A quick nap to rejuvinate and we were ready for the big
meal.

That was today, one of the main reasons we made this trip when we did.
I don't exactly know what else we have planned besides typical tourist
attractions, but if something interesting happens, I'll try and post
it here. Good evening from The Hague.

No comments:

Post a Comment