Today I leave the great country of my family, the Netherlands. I'm not
too upset since I'm heading down to ski with family in Switzerland,
and I know I will return in the near future.
Yesterday was another good day, the last full day for Erica and me.
After a good breakfast, we had a good workout in the impressively
equiped workout room on the top floor. Since we didn't feel we worked
hard enough (jokes), we went for a an authentic Dutch experience of
biking around town. If you haven't been Europe, but more specifically
Holland, you can't quite apprecieate what it means to bike around
town. Here they have a separate sidewalk or lane depending on the size
of the road. This means there are separate rules for bikers, cars and
pedestrians. Each mode of transport requires watching out for the
other at all intersections and yield situations. I wonder if you take
a bike liscense exam here :) Anyway we used our freedom to go the
local cheese shop (we did damage), and then to the ultra touristy but
impressive Madurodam. This is a full scale replica of Holland's most
important buildings, structures, cities, etc. It sounds silly but when
you see it in person you can't help but be impressed and wish our
country/city did something similar.
We went back home to pack up and get ready for dinner. Our meal would
be prepared by the esteemed chef Wouter, making a suprise 6 course
meal. The only guidance we provided was having a taste for tuna.
Not surprising, we were blown away and couldn't have made or purchased
a more enjoyable meal, especially considering we ate at home in our
sweats. I will get the full menu soon and post the meal with pictures.
We had tuna 4 ways with two desserts, a white chocolate suffle being
the finale. My favorite dish was #2, a tuna steak with pumpkin and and
carrots (I believe). Needless to say, Erica and I had a better meal
than the Ambassador, who went out for dinner at another Ambasador's
house!
This morning we woke up early to get Erica to the train station. I was
driving half asleep in a foregin country, it was adventure so to
speak. I assume she's flying back now, where I am waiting at the
airport for my flight to Geneva, Switzerland. A few days of skiing in
the alps and I will return stateside.
I'll try and update, but please excuse me (and give me no pity) in
advance if I forget admist the snow and peaks.
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment