just a start...
1) Americans don't travel enough. I have rarely run into one while in
Nepal or India. Maybe we focus on Europe or closer places, but in
general, as a country we are not altogether worldly.
2) I have never before wished I knew another language. It would make
moving around the world more enjoyable as well as productive. Not to
mention it would help avoid sticky situations (see last post).
3) Tea is an amazing drink. I happen to enjoy tea while at home too,
but abroad it serves many purposes. It's always sterile (assuming
boiled long enough), it has flavor (or add milk or sugar), it warms
you up (best in mountains, not in India heat) and it aids in digestion
and related stomach issues (so far so good...)
4) Walking around at 4pm when it's 108 outside is brutal. My desert
friends can relate, but it's just crazy. This too after spending weeks
in a tent below freezing; talk about contrast.
5) finally we all know this to be true, but it's vital while
traveling: cash is king. It's a luxury to use plastic and I know more
than my share of people back home that don't even know what a $5 bill
looms like anymore. You need cash for everything and can never have
enough available while aboard. I'm just happy that India has the
invention called the ATM, it's been very kind to me. Credit card not
so much, that's a developed country phenomenon where people trust each
other to pay bills.
That's a start, more to follow I'm sure when I get home and re-read my
journal. :)
Go Hawkers!

No comments:
Post a Comment